Constituted on the 11 January 1911 by the Rt. Hon. Earl of Derby Provincial Grand Master of the Province of East Lancashire and W. Bro J.B. Goulburn Deputy Provincial Grand Master.
W. Bro J.B. Goulburn was renowned for his integrity and dedication to Freemasonry. His aim was to introduce to the ranks of Freemasonry, men of high standards and values. His mantra was: “It is not quantity we want but men of quality“.
A summary of the Goulburn Menturia History:
- Bro. Cecil J. Broadbent was installed as the first Master in 1911.
- In 1919 the Lodge made petition for and formed the Goulburn Royal Arch Chapter.
- In 1923 £50 was subscribed towards the purchase of a plot of land to extend the Hall which was subsequently opened as the current Hall in 1929.
- In 1946 the Lodge submitted a petition for the formation of a daughter Lodge Menturia No. 6023.
- On 1st March 2006 the Lodge held its 900th meeting and a donation of £5000 was made to Bolton Royal Hospital for equipment in the newly re-organised Cardiology unit.
- February 2011 saw the celebration of the centenary of the Goulburn Lodge under the rule of W. Bro. Gerald Boothman Worshipful Master.
- The parent and daughter Lodges amalgamated in December 2014 to form Goulburn Menturia Lodge No. 3478.
- Membership of the Lodge numbers 45 and is cosmopolitan in composition with British and ethnic minorities from Asia and Africa, made up of all professions including Company Directors, Lawyers, Accountants, Engineers and Artisans and Students.